- Dr. Ernest E. Rothman
Please make use of the following!
- Official office hours: Tuesday: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM; Wednesday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM, Thursday: 3:45PM - 4:45PM,
and by appointment, drop-in, and AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Skype instant messaging. If there is a need to
change office hour schedule, the new office hour schedule will be posted on the course web site. Instant messaging
can be used for simple questions for clarification of course content (e.g., HW exercises); please use salve.edu
email and/or an office hour visit for other detailed course-related questions.
- Phone ext. 3237. (Email address are office location given in the course syllabus)
Use of University In accordance with University policy:
Please note that all official email communications at Salve Regina University involving faculty, students, and staff is to
be conducted using your official university email address. Students must regularly check their university email for
important notifications from their faculty, the Registrar, and others.
Please come to see me during my office hours! If you have a conflict and cannot make my office hours,
please contact me and we can set up an appointment for another time. I will usually be available for
(audio and video enabled) instant messaging during office hours. When you come to my office hours, or
contact me via Instant Messenger or email, please be prepared with specific course-related questions.
TEXTBOOK AND OTHER MATERIALS
- Required Textbook: Linear Algebra and its applications, 5th Edition by David and Steven Lay, and Judi McDonald, Pub. Addison-Wesley.
- Recommended Calculator: TI-83Plus or TI-84Plus graphing calculator. When calculators are allowed on exams, only
TI-83, TI-83Plus, or TI-84Plus will be permitted.
- Course Website: http://samchops.neocities.org/MTH211.
You are expected to check the course web site for updates at least twice a day, including mornings and evenings.
- Grading Policies.
- How to contact me.
- MATLAB is installed in a computer lab in the university Library. Additionally, you may purchase the
Student Edition of MATLAB to install on your macOS, Linux, or
- Octave Online
- GNU Octave
MATHEMATICS, GENERAL EDUCATION, AND CIVIC ENGAGEMENT RESOURCES
Links below are not directly related to the course content, and you are under no obligation whatsoever to view them.
They are related to education, mathematics, science, policy related to those fields, and general resources useful for civic engagement.
They are provided here as
resources, if you are interested in points of view to which you may not otherwise be exposed. The points of view expressed in those resources are not necessarily endorsed by the university.
Last modified: 7/7/2019